ubifs/NAND problem?

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 15 22:53:24 CET 2012

On Sunday 15 January 2012 21:56:04 Ivan Matveev wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 18:10:11 +0100
>
> Boudewijn <wankelwankel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > I have problems with NAND, it seems, but I don't know how to
> > troubleshoot it.
> >
> > For a while I have been unable to boot SHR from NAND, but since I had
> > another install on uSD, it didn't really matter. Lately I wanted to
> > move to NAND anyway, to free up the relatively fast uSD for my
> > Phoenux.
> >
> > The Freerunner still won't boot from NAND though. I reflashed with
> > SHR-core (and SHR's ubi-qi), to no avail. After that I flashed QtMoko
> > v35 (and QtMoko's qi v35). No better result either. (For a moment I
> > thought the MD5 sum was incorrect, downloaded again and flashed, but
> > it turned out Sourceforge hid part of the sum when there's no
> > mouseover).
>
> Hi Boudewijn,
> I had a similar problem, couldn't boot anything from NAND(qi or uboot
> the same). Jffs worked fine.
> While trying different UBIFS distributions I have accidently flashed
> kernel to where bootloader should be. Reflashed everything as it should
> be, and the phone started to boot from NAND.
> The distrib was QtMoko v35.
> I think there could be some wrong data or bad blocks somewhere that
> were erased by flashing kernel to the wrong place. Or some bug was fixed
> in qi or kernel. Cant check.

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually started writing as a follow-up to your
thread, but since you started out with v36 and ended with v35 I started a new
one (I started with v35 a couple of times right away)

If I understand correctly, you now use UBI, not jffs, don't you?

If all goes well, I can send "success" in a couple of minutes :-)

Boudewijn