ubifs/NAND problem?

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 00:26:48 CET 2012

On Sunday 15 January 2012 23:29:58 Boudewijn wrote:
> On Sunday 15 January 2012 22:53:24 Boudewijn wrote:
> > On Sunday 15 January 2012 21:56:04 Ivan Matveev wrote:

> > > Hi Boudewijn,
> > > I had a similar problem, couldn't boot anything from NAND(qi or uboot
> > > the same). Jffs worked fine.
> > > While trying different UBIFS distributions I have accidently flashed
> > > kernel to where bootloader should be. Reflashed everything as it should
> > > be, and the phone started to boot from NAND.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion! I actually started writing as a follow-up to
> > your thread, but since you started out with v36 and ended with v35 I
> > started a new one (I started with v35 a couple of times right away)
>

> TL;DR:
> I overwrote my boot partition and kernel partition with useless (in this
> context) data multiple times. I expected Qi to break at some point, but it
> didn't. It also did not become "unbroken": it refuses to boot the kernel in
> NAND.
>
> Any pointer?
>

> Boudewijn
>
> PS: For now I'll start reading about u-boot on the wiki.

First achievement after downloading gena2x' u-boot to the FR: Qi is gone.

After that, I downloaded Qi again, resulting in a booting SHR from uSD.

For now I'll focus my attention on the kernel partition; the boot loader seems
OK. I downloaded one of the last SHR-kernels (2.6.39-xx16...), to see if
anything happened. That's not the case: upon booting I still get SHR from uSD,
not QtMoko with a SHR kernel and a crash after half a minute.

Lacking a crash, a boot log or anything except a running SHR, I turned back to
u-boot, and continued following gena2x' excellent howto. Lacking a running
environment to copy the Qi-settings from, I started off with his sample
config.

Now I got somewhere: using the "boot jffs from NAND" option crashed the UBI-
kernel (once again, I realize there's UBI to be had here anyway ;-) )

Just before the crash (unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) ), it
listed the list of all partitions, with addresses (and driver? behind every
item). With some luck, those are all jffs-driver on UBI-fs errors.

Choosing the NAND/ubi-zlib boot option, there were some warnings, I guess
relating to running SHRs kernel on QtMoko. Anyway, QtMoko booted!

Gennady, thank you! :-)

Boudewijn