[Gta04-owner] Openmoko Community Survey 2011 ? Results

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Tue Jan 17 13:05:22 CET 2012

People,

On 2012-01-17 22:16, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Tuesday, January 17, 2012 a las 11:49:00AM +0100, Christoph
> Pulster escribió:
>
>> > A lot of people gave up and do not want Openmoko phone anymore.
>>
>> The marketing of Openmoko Inc. failed. It was a short-sighted idee
>> push the news with "first open source mobile" / "free your phone".
>> It resulted in c. 15000 sold units, which is no success story in the
>> long term. Besides it was never a ready-to-use mobile phone for
>> everyday
>> use. Even some Linux-die-for-geeks closed their drawers to store the
>> Freerunner into it.
>
> -1 (note: minus 1)
>
> Since I got the FR some years ago, I used it with Om2008.9 and now
> with
> SHR as my one and only and daily phone;
>
> well, maybe because I'm not a Linux-die-for-geek, but a
> FreeBSD-die-for-geek
> :-)
>
> I will now buy the GTA04, once I get the offer requested :-)

+1-1

I bought the FR as an experiment and didn't use it day-to-day - I
played with every new version and was quite interested in the GPS
functionality.  Sometime later my old phone died and by then QtMoko was
nice enough to use as a daily phone but there are still some limitations
(battery life, hard to hear in non-quiet situations, GPS app problems
etc).  I am a Linux geek but a fairly light mobile phone user - I just
couldn't justify spending another big chunk of money on something that
uses the same case . .

My 2c

Regards,

Phil.