Jabber<->SMS gateways?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Thu Jan 26 03:53:32 CET 2012

When I first got my FreeRunner, I was excited by
being able to run Pidgin on it and not only use
AIM but Jabber/XMPP and other chat systems
(I even wrote a plug-in so that pidgin could
 use the FreeRunner's vibrator for alerts).

I quickly realised, however, that the general
`chattiness' of internet IM protocols kept
data flowing through the modem all the time,
which meant that the FreeRunner could never
remain suspended for very long--incoming data
would quickly wake it up.

AOL IM can get around this issue (not in Pigin,
but in general...) by way of a SMS<->AIM gateway
that AOL provides (which has a nice `SMS API'
that can be used to configure whether--and how--
messages from AIM buddies are delivered to
a phone as SMS messages and SMS messages send
from the phone are delivered to AIM buddies
over the Internet; this is also what sets the
`phone' status, and `phone' icon, for people
in an AIM buddy-list who are using AIM via
their phones).

It occurred to me that I could probably write
a module for Pidgin that would allow it to
use the AOL SMS gateway for AIM..., but
I'd really rather move off of AIM (for various
reasons) and just use Jabber. The issue
with that, though, is..., where's the
analogous XMPP<->SMS gateway?

Is there any such service in existence?