New $200 tablet?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jan 30 21:18:09 CET 2012

Am 30.01.2012 um 15:42 schrieb Patryk Benderz:

> [cut]
>> This look very interesting. Can’t wait to get my hands on one.
> It is written 200 EURO, not dollars ($). Makes a difference.

Most likely it is 200 EUR w/o taxes, WEEE and many other duties
like warranties etc.

And @ 1 Mio units :)

Without calculating engineering cost (i.e. there will never be fixes,
updates and upgrades).

OpenPandora and GTA04 have both shown how difficult it is to get to a
really low price in practice at limited volume. And OLPC also never did
meet its goals (at least not within a short timeframe).

It only works if someone heavily subsidizes each unit of a small batch
and/or has the capital to kickstart the first really big batch. And there are
also many examples how even big companies had to clear their stock
at a dumping price to limit further financial loss. E.g. HP Touchpad.

Or some model that already exists is tweaked to become a community
device. But there will be no successor product and enough openness
as many examples have shown.

So let's see how they do it sustainably. Maybe they have found some
trick, I would be happy to learn about :)

Nikolaus