[Wikireader] updates not working?

Doug Jones dj6mf at frombob.to
Fri Jul 6 09:00:57 CEST 2012

On 07/05/2012 03:28 PM, Doug Jones wrote:
> On 07/05/2012 02:06 PM, Alexander Lehner wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, 5 Jul 2012, Doug Jones wrote:
>>
>>> I see there are some new Wikireader updates available:
>>>
>>> http://dev.thewikireader.com/language-packs/
>>>
>>> But I can't download them -- the tracker times out.
>>>
>>> Anybody else having this problem?
>>
>> yes, me. Tried it with the german depedia and using azureus/vuze as
>> torrent client.
>> There seem to be no sources.
>>
>> A.
>

> Looks like Openmoko is using the Amazon cloud to host these files. The
> tracker is at http://tracker.amazonaws.com:6969/announce and it times
> out when you talk to it.
>
> Developers have accessed these files recently; Siebrand Mazeland and
> Christopher Hall have done github updates within the last couple weeks,
> and there's a base files update on the download page dated 20 June. So
> this must be a recent problem.

Workaround, for anybody who wants updates and is in a hurry:

Copy the desired link URL from that page, paste it into the address bar
of your browser, then strip the "?torrent" from the end, and hit Enter.
  This will download the entire file (up to 1GB!) instead of just the
corresponding .torrent file.

(Yes, the files are all there...  it's just the bittorrent tracker that
is down.)

While you're there, also download the .torrent file.  Then when both
downloads are complete, you can use your bittorrent client to verify
that the big file you downloaded is correct.