[Wikireader] updates not working?

Alexander Lehner lehner at edv-buero-lehner.de
Sun Jul 8 01:13:54 CEST 2012

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012, Doug Jones wrote:

> [...]
> I used the trick mentioned earlier in this thread.  I trimmed the ?torrent
> off of the end of the URL and started downloading the entire file through
> Firefox.  After a few megabytes I paused the download, copied the partial
> file into the download folder used by my bittorrent client, and told it to
> torrent that file.  It contacted the tracker at amazon, which is indeed
> working, and the tracker found one peer (you), and sent you those megabytes.
>
> So the amazon tracker is working.  And the file is indeed present on the
> amazon server.  But the amazon tracker isn't using the amazon server as a
> seeder!
>
> So something is still wrong.

I now managed to download the zip files and seeding them now (for
depedia).
Il will seed others also, in the hope, that the torrent network comes
back to live.

Off-topic soon, how-to:
I used azureus/vuze.
First downloaded the depedia*.7z files (as described earlier, without
.torrent).
Copied them into my torrent download folder.
Asked vuze to download the torrent 'depedia*.7z.torrent' from the
http://dev.thewikireader.com/language-packs/
page.

Got warning to continue/restart download, acknowledged that.
Started to seed then...

---

Just wondering:
I was downloading the files from web with approx. 600kB.
This is much faster than any torrent network will provide and faster than
most other download sites.

Who - if ever - will have to pay for this download speed?
Does it make sense at all here, to use torrent network to distribute such
kind of data?

A.