[Gta04-owner] New Phoronix article on Gta04

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jul 16 08:53:53 CEST 2012

Am 16.07.2012 um 03:31 schrieb Joshua Judson Rosen:

> Christ van Willegen <cvwillegen at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Joshua Judson Rosen
>> <rozzin at geekspace.com> wrote:
>>> So, where are the $60 T-shirts?
>>
>> The ones saying 'I wanted to buy a GTA04 but all I got was this lousy
>> T-shirt!' ?
>>
>> :-) for the humor-impaired.
>
> Well, I might pay $20 or $30 for one of *those*. For $60, I expect
> something with a logo ;)
>
> Like what I'd get in return for a donation to National Public Radio,
> Creative Commons, FreedomBox Foundation, or whatever. So, yeah--
> if it wasn't obvious, I was actually serious.
>
> In general `T-shirt sales' terms, $60 is a little on the high side, but
> it's not really outlandish at all to `donate $60 to a cause and get
> a T-shirt as a thank-you gift', e.g.:
>
>     https://creativecommons.net/donate/ ($50 min. donation to get a CC shirt)
>
>     http://kck.st/hywKB2 ($75 min. donation to get a FreedomBox shirt)
>

> In all seriousness.., I really do wonder whether it'd be worthwhile
> for Nikolaus to try selling expensive T-shirts via zazzle.com
> or such. How much would you pay for a T-shirt that subsidised
> GTA04 development? And how expensive would they actually have to be
> in order to provide a minimally-useful financial subsidy?

Well, what does not work is that we manage different sizes and colours
and shipment ourselves. Therefore we are currently (again) looking into
T-shirt services with worldwide presence where we can open a shop-in-a-shop.
Some have quite problematic terms&conditions (e.g. payment arrives
up to 120 days and is void if they cancel for any reasons etc.).

> There'd need to be some sort of nice image to put on the shirts,
> of course--I'm pretty sure that someone here would be both willing
> and able to help produce that if it doesn't yet exist (e.g.: I would).

There is a design that we did use at FOSDEM and other fairs (but
we had ordered them only for the stand staff):

http://freeyourphone.de/portal_v1/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1978&p=18465&hilit=fosdem#p18465

> So, what do you say?

Since I am personally not a collector of T-Shirts I wonder if it is so much
important to combine donations with T-Shirts. Direct donations are
always possible and welcome:

http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%3aDonation

So if we just provide a T-Shirs design, everybody could donate on
one side and submit the design files to a (local) T-Shirt shop to
get it in his/her size.

Nikolaus