[Shr-Devel] About the future of the freesmartphone.org middleware

Simon Busch morphis at gravedo.de
Sun Jul 22 12:10:16 CEST 2012

Am 22.07.2012 12:03, schrieb Neil Jerram:
> All of the details you've described sound to me like excellent and
> compelling things to work on.
>
> But your wider problem is that you're working in a vacuum, because
> there's no reasonably widely used phone distribution that uses FSO and
> that is also regularly and safely updated.  That means you have no users
> for your incremental improvements.
>
> Obviously there's SHR, but from what I see on the mailing lists it seems
> to me that the development edge of SHR is a complete basket case:
> constantly broken and regressing in very basic functionality.
>
> I think you either need to change SHR's approach, or to find/create
> another compelling distribution (perhaps around Aurora) that uses FSO;
> otherwise all your planned improvements won't help anyone.
>
> I'm sorry to be so negative and unconstructive here, but it seems clear
> to me that SHR is your "elephant in the room", and I don't think you
> should ignore that.

You find excellent words to describe the current state our efforts to
have a completely open sourced mobile telephony stack. There is no real
development on the upper layers. I tried to get into this for a long
time (remember mickeyl and I started aurora back in 2011) but came to
the point that I don't have the time to do the real big thing anymore.
It's frustrating to have nothing you can really use with the software
you wrote. But finally I came to the point that I have fun developing
just FSO and get everything into shape so others can pick up. I
indicated already some months ago that I don't want to focus on a
specific device anymore but just FSO and get it available in a good and
stable state where possible.

So if anyone has fun to pick up my work with FSO on a higher level just
do. I will continue to develop the middleware in my spare free time and
hope it's going into the right direction.

Any btw. it must no be everytime suitable for a device like a phone. I
started implementing HFP HF as I like the idea to have my phone lying
next to my laptop while working a get a indication when a phone call
comes in on my laptop where I can then answer the call directly without
putting my fingers on the phone.

regards,
Simon

--