About the future of the freesmartphone.org middleware

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Tue Jul 31 12:39:44 CEST 2012

Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org> writes:

> What I think is needed now are components that give existing
> distributions capabilities they didn't have before. Then to see what
> people develop on top of them.

+1

> But to be appealing to developers who are new to the system (which
> basically means, all of them), such componends need to be: few, simple,
> reliable, stable, easy to deploy, and if not documented, at least coming
> with some working example code.
>
> Should I mention they should also be compilable with the *stable*
> release of the compiler they need? In the past, and for years, I would
> even have needed to mention that. I want to believe that at least that
> has already changed :)

Arguably those two paragraphs are already well satisfied by oFono.
oFono probably now has the advantage in terms of maturity and
deployment, is compilable by a standard C compiler, and has a recent
version packaged in Debian.

The following may sound pointlessly controversial, but I don't intend it
that way; I think it may help the FSO developers to review and
understand more precisely their objectives.  Why is FSO still needed at
all, given that oFono exists and appears to have the development
mindshare and advantages noted above?  Would your objectives be achieved
more quickly or easily by switching to oFono and contributing any needed
additions to that?

Regards,
        Neil