problems with qtmoko continuously re-starting

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Sun Jun 10 20:25:56 CEST 2012

Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> writes:

> On Sunday 10 June 2012 14:23:20 Neil Jerram wrote:
>
>> rfkill state:
>> --------->8----------
>> root at neo:~# rfkill list
>> 0: GPS: GPS
>> 	Soft blocked: no
>> 	Hard blocked: no
>> 1: Bluetooth: Bluetooth
>> 	Soft blocked: yes
>
> ^^ this looks like bluetooth if off. Can you try unblock it? IIRC it was:
>
> 	rfkill unblock bluetooth

Well there is a line "rfkill block bluetooth &" in qpe.sh, so I guess
that is what blocked it.

Also I'd guess now that this problem - QtMoko restarting because of a
bluetooth problem - is a simple race between that background rfkill
command and the rest of the qpe.sh script.

(It then makes sense that if QtMoko doesn't start quickly enough the
first time, because of bluetooth already being off, it will never start
on any further iterations.)

Here's what I see after commenting out that rfkill line:

- QtMoko starts up fine.  (This is not yet significant, though, because
  it often starts up fine anyway.)

- Bluetooth symbol is shown in the top line of the UI

- Diagnostic output:

--------->8----------
root at neo:/opt/qtmoko# hciconfig
hci0:	Type: BR/EDR  Bus: UART
	BD Address: 00:19:88:19:DD:23  ACL MTU: 310:10  SCO MTU: 64:8
	UP RUNNING PSCAN
	RX bytes:1564 acl:0 sco:0 events:47 errors:0
	TX bytes:510 acl:0 sco:0 commands:47 errors:0

root at neo:/opt/qtmoko# hcitool scan
Scanning ...
root at neo:/opt/qtmoko# rfkill list
0: GPS: GPS
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
1: Bluetooth: Bluetooth
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
2: hso-5: Wireless WAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
3: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
4: hci0: Bluetooth
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no

Presumably, then, the right fix for this is either to ensure somehow
that the "rfkill block bluetooth" happens after QtMoko startup, or to
make QtMoko start up even if bluetooth is off.  The latter would be
better, because someone might have switched bluetooth off and then
choose to "Restart QtMoko".

Regards,
        Neil