Phoenux, Phoneux, Phonux?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jun 11 08:15:22 CEST 2012

Am 02.06.2012 um 18:03 schrieb Nick Sheppard:

> On 31/05/12 16:36, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> >
> > 4. Nomenclature OpenPhoneux/GTA04
> >
> > There may be some confusion what "GTA04" and "OpenPhoneux"
> > are and what makes them different.
> >
> > We define:
> > * GTA*: the next generation motherboard(s), i.e. electronics
> > * OpenPhonux: the future "independent mobile handheld" project
> >     aiming at complete devices (i.e. GTA04 + case + components)
> >
> > Currently, we run the domains www.gta04.org and
> > www.openphoenux.org. The Openphoenux.org home
> > page will be made more prominent and content rich soon.
> >

> This was a really informative post - thanks!  But how are you going to spell the new baby's name?  I see Phoenux, Phoneux, and Phonux all within a few lines.

Ah, there have been typos... Sorry.

The name is derived from:

Open-Phoen(ix)-(Lin)ux

I.e. a contraction of
* Open
* Phoenix (the bird of dreams raising from ashes)
* Linux

> If we were voting, I'd go for OpenPhonux, because it's roughly equal parts Phone, Phoenix and Linux which seems about right.
>
> Also, importantly I think, if you heard it spoken you'd probably be able to guess correctly how it's spelled, which helps with googling and word-of-mouth publicity.  And it has the sound "phone" in it which helps tell people what it is ("Phoenux" doesn't, at least in English).  And "Phoneux" looks as if it should be pronounced in French (or is that just me ...).

That is indeed difficult fur us all who don't have english as mother-tongue...

Linux is pronounced in english as "Line-ugs" (/ˈlɪnəks/  [1]). I.e. it should be "phon-ugs".

> But of course it's the parents who should name the baby, and I'm really only a bystander, though soon-to-be GTA04 owner ...
>
> Nick Sheppard

Nikolaus

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux