Phoenux, Phoneux, Phonux?

Nick Sheppard nshep at attglobal.net
Mon Jun 11 18:02:05 CEST 2012

On 11/06/12 07:15, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> .... it should be "phon-ugs".

That's what I should have asked about - pronunciation rather than
spelling.  Because (as an English speaker) I've been pronouncing
OpenPhoenux as open-fee-nux (like the legendary phoenix, fee-nix or
fii-nix in English).

I've only just realised (Duh!) that the "oe" is an "o-umlaut" and
therefore more like an "o" sound.  But I think that most English
speakers would make the same mistake.

That's why I thought the OpenPhonux spelling was good - it forces
English speakers to say it your way.  (As well as looking more like
"Phone" on paper.)

I'll be careful to say "phon-ugs" from now on!

Nick