Phoenux, Phoneux, Phonux?

Harley Laue losinggeneration at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 22:30:58 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 1:15 AM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> Linux is pronounced in english as "Line-ugs" (/ˈlɪnəks/  [1]). I.e. it should be "phon-ugs".
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

Just as an FYI from a native speaker, /ˈlɪnəks/ would be lin-əks With
"lin" which sounds like bin or the proper name Lynn and the 'ə' having
the same sound as the 'a' in "about". It's also a 'k' sound (as in
kind) here and not a 'g'. The linked wikidpedia article is quite
helpful with mouse-over tooltips for the pronunciation for each letter
in /ˈlɪnəks/

Thus, it would be phon-əks here by your reasoning. But because phoenux
is just phoenix with the 'i' changed to a 'u', I'd pronounce it
exactly the same way but with an 'ə' sound for the u. So based on the
wikipedia's article: [2] pronunciation of phoenix: /ˈfiːnɪks/ I'd say
phoenux would thus be: /ˈfiːnəks/

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix,_Arizona