How to bring forward the community?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Mar 1 14:03:42 CET 2012

Am 01.03.2012 um 13:28 schrieb Wolfgang Spraul:

>> So what to use? Nothing to use...
>
> We should look for what comes after phones and tablets.
> What's next?

Next generation phones and tablets :)

It is difficult to develop something totally new.
(My standard methapher: each revolution looks
like evolution if you have a sufficiently distant point
of view).

Like cars. Every year there are many new ones. But
each time, they have more power, more reliability, more
safety, more automatisation. Or they just look differently.

For phones and tablets it means they will increase in
screen resolution, increase in processing power and
networking speed, increase in battery life, increase how
easily they can be used.

The last one is the most interesting since it includes
both hardware and software.

Breaking down this evolution path into small revolutions
for the Openmoko project means that there will come a
OMAP4/5/6. There will be LTE. There will be Glonass/Galileo.
There will be new case designs. Maybe one with keyboard.

On the software side:
QtMoko will become even better than it already is.
SHR will become even better than it already is.

But we have to work heavily against entropy. And
work one step after the other... And help those
who are already on this path (e.g Radek, Lukas,
Neil, and numerous others) to go forward. Make big
leaps...

Unfortunately some of these steps cost a lot of real
money. This needs the project to be economically
viable.

Therefore it is important to spread of the platform.
Having 1 month left over for subscribing to the
(extended) group tour is a good point to draw an
intermediate view.

This morning we now have 34% which is one third of the
required number of units (for the given price). This is a
good increment from the 23% or so we did have right
before FOSDEM when we decided to extend the subscription
time frame.

So the next goal is to crack the 40%!

One more thing:

some 5% rebate seats are still available since
some generous subscribers did choose no early
bird rebate.

BR,
Nikolaus