what to with 02 when upgrading to 04? was: Re: How to bring forward the community?

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Sun Mar 4 22:00:45 CET 2012

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> IMHO that has nothing to do with freedom at all. Just personal enrichment.

Objection: it is *NOT* personal enrichment if I share.  If I were to
ever get a hold of the ware that I am after, I would NOT greedily
hoard it for myself like its current holders are doing, I would make
it available to everyone who wants it.

> And does *not* bring forward the community.

Depends on which community you are talking about.  If *your* community
has chosen to cripple itself by limiting to just those means which
don't offend the repressive legislative regimes, then indeed your
community won't benefit from IFS (Illegal Free Software) work.

However, my work on building a Totally Illegal Phone (whether I do it
by kidnapping an ex-Om-Inc employee and beating the TI deliverable out
of him, by taking the publicly leaked TSM30 source and modifying it in
a copyright-disregarding manner to backport it to Leonardo/GTA02, or
by taking OsmocomBB and adding illegal enhancements to it) will most
certainly benefit a DIFFERENT community: a community of brave and
determined revolutionaries who are officially At War with all
law-making regimes and who would like to use the enemy's Public Land
Mobile Networks infrastructure in our asymmetric warfare against them.

MS