big leap forward: Case-Kit and 3D printed case

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Mar 6 16:10:55 CET 2012

we are coming close to the dream of getting unlimited availability
of new and compatible cases!

Thanks to the great work from Lukas I simply ordered a set
of case components at Shapeways and they already arrived
today.

So I had just to drill a hole for the camera (a new 3D data
set should already include the hole) and assemble the pieces.

Of course we are not 100% done with the missing components,
but as you can see we have found a replacement for the stereo
speakers that fits into the box. And, we are working on placing
some commercial SMD pentaband antenna on a small bow-shaped
PCB so that it connects to the GTA04 board. This is the most critical
part since design errors heavily influence the antenna and battery
performance (a badly matched antenna does "eat up" the energy
instead radiating to the base station).

Not shown are the earpiece and the vibramotor (which do not
fit exactly into the case and need solder connections to the PCB)
and the active GPS antenna. The Taoglas module we did choose
dangles around...

To estimate the cost, I did pay $72.39 (w/o VAT but incl. shipment)
for the Shapeways parts and I expect that it is possible to provide the
electronical parts for approx. 50 EUR (the most expensive are the
antennae [1]) which makes it approx. 100 EUR for a complete replacement
case.

We will also try to get the components in bigger batches and maybe
Shapeways can give some mass-production benefit if we reach a
stable 3D data set and order many identical prints, but I don't know.

This again shows what can be done from the open documentation
provided by Openmoko, Inc. and brave individuals within a lively
community!

And, this is a big step forward to a community designed smart
handheld.

Nikolaus

[1]: Taoglas AP.12B.07.0046A, DigiKey 931-1009-ND,
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?keywords=931-1009-ND

If anyone knows a reliable and cheap source for an active GPS
antenna module up to 15x15mm with 50 mm tail and U.FL connector,
please let me know!