[Gta04-owner] Keyboard for GTA04

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 15:13:49 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 09:56:01AM -0400, Gerald A wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > I fully agree on this, I have bought smaller keyboard (with USB cable)
> > for freerunner and I don't use it very much, because as you said it's
> > not really usable e.g. while sitting in train and trying to balance
> > phone + keyboard on your lap. So in trains I'm using n900 only and
> > om-gta02 is sitting at home always connected to desktop (with real
> > keyboard).
> >

> On this, I respectfully disagree. When I had my Neo in full flight, I often
> used a Bluetooth keyboard to do longer sessions. For short sessions, I'd
> use the stylus and the tiny onscreen keyboard.
>
> I actually tried a variety of Bluetooth keyboards, and yes, balancing them
> can be a pain, especially in a moving platform like a train. I found a good
> way to situate things, with my backpack as a support for the Neo, and thus
> only having to hang onto the keyboard on a subway train, which has lots of
> motion. Is it ideal? No. Would having a cradle or some sort of attachment
> been better? Probably, but it wasn't useless.

Yes it's better than onscreen keyboard but being able to attach it to
phone is the important part at least for me. (I was carying that keyboard
in original paper box and was using top cover to hold my freerunner - but
that's still far from ideal).

Something like double battery cover with some rails for keyboard sliding
out from it would be nice (still holding one piece of hw - even if it
makes whole phone extra 1cm thick). It doesn't need to be in "main" body
and it would also add option to decide to go out with just classic cover
and smaller "case".

> I wrote e-mails, reports, and diary entries in this way, and I liked it a
> lot -- as the onscreen keyboard is handy but not functional. Now, if the
> keyboard was big enough for me to do work, but also portable, that would be
> fantastic.
>
> I saw a smaller "Bluetooth" keyboard yesterday ... which is about the size
> of an average phone. The keys were way too small for fingers, so I'm
> guessing it is aimed at the "thumb" market, which might be a fit for some
> but wouldn't help me.

Cheers,

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com