Advance OpenStreetMap surveying with GTA04? / compass

Alexander Lehner lehner at edv-buero-lehner.de
Sun Mar 18 23:49:08 CET 2012

Mayeul, respect for the tour that you planned.

I'm an OSM'ler as well and know a lot of alpine 'freaks' which are not
related to OSM at all - so this journey seems a lovely marriage between
both projects, but...

How do you want satisfy power consumption of the device(s) that you will
need?

Actually you require a 230V line every night to charge a bunch
of batteries. Devices like GTA0x last about 3-4 hours GPS tracking,
Garmin Etrex or similair perhaps twice as long. Cellphones last long in
standby or for only making pictures or voicenotes, but with GPS apps
they're running about the same 3-4 hours.

Low temperature will drastically reduce battery capacity or performance.

I was investigating a lot in charging ideas, but there's nothing suitable
for such a case. You either need a huge pack of batteries, or a huge
amount of accus and chargers and power suppliers.

For example: a bycicle dynamo delivers enough energy at about 20 km/h to
keep the GTA0x alive in GPS tracking mode. A solar cell delivers enough
energy to keep a GTA0x in 'sleep mode' alive.
Exchange GTA0x against any other mobile phone.

So how would you solve the energy issue?

A.