flashing debian ends in kernel panic

robin spielraum at web.de
Sun Mar 25 18:56:03 CEST 2012

Thomas Guenther <thomas.guenther <at> gmx.de> writes:

> Am Sun, 25 Mar 2012 14:31:10 +0200
> schrieb Thomas Guenther <thomas.guenther <at> gmx.de>:
>
> > Am Sun, 25 Mar 2012 12:15:00 +0000 (UTC)
> > schrieb robin <spielraum <at> web.de>:
> >
> > > hi
> > >
> > > I tried the debian image from
> > > http://people.debian.org/~timo/NeoFreeRunner/
> > > Debian_NeoFreeRunner_minimalrootfs_20120321.tar.xz
> > >
> > > but it ends directly in kernel panic not syncing. No init found.
> > >
> > > my sdcard has a first partion of vfat type and a second one where I
> > > flashed the image of ext3 type.
> > >
> > > any ideas
> > >
> > > br
> > >
> > > robin

> > Hi,
> >
> > did you read the hole mail from Timo?
> [...]
>
> Sorry, I mean 'whole mail'.
>
> Thomas

I found the solution:

cat append-GTA02 givs me
root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootdelay=1
so changing this to the second partions gives me a system which boots into X.
there I am left with a white topbar and a black rest of the screen though.

Could you please point me to the original mail from timo. I only found his
image via the openmoko wiki recent changes.

thanks a lot

rootfs  /               auto    defaults,errors=remount-ro,noatime      0 1
/dev/mtdblock6  /mnt/flash      jffs2   defaults,noatime,noauto         0 2
proc    /proc           proc    defaults                                0 0
tmpfs   /tmp            tmpfs   defaults,noatime                        0 0