Discussion: what are your dreams for the Openmoko Community

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Tue May 1 13:43:32 CEST 2012

On 28/04/2012 10:52, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> So what are your dreams with respect to open mobile handhelds?
> What would you like as future hardware?

* WiFi chip with free firmware
* Baseband processor with free firmware
* Hardware keyboard
* Bigger screen
* Multitouch for pinch zooming

> What to see in software
> distros? Anything else? What missing piece are you waiting for?

Everything on Benjamin Deering's list, plus:

* A calendar app that displays contact's birthdays (with alarm or some
  other notification beforehand) and synchronises with a calendar
  stored on my server
* A contact app that syncronises with a contact database stored on my
  server
* An email client that allows easy access to a large number of IMAP
  folders
* Easy mesh networking, possibly using B.A.T.M.A.N.

Bear in mind that I don't have a Freerunner or a Phoenux so I don't know
whether any of these items exist already.

--
Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net>
Diaspora: rah at pod.settrans.net

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }