*.openmoko.org infrastructure

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Mon May 7 01:08:09 CEST 2012

On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 23:23 +0200, Harald Welte wrote:

> From my point of view, in order to proceed, what would need to be done is:

> 2) finding somebody with the required skills, dedication and trust by
>    all involved entities/people to actually maintain/upgrade those
>    systems for the time to come.
>
> 3) ensure that Openmoko, Inc. still has an adequate amount of "last
>    resort control" over what happens there, as it (after all) still is
>    their trademark.  So if somebody sues them over content on those
>    sites, they need to be able to take action by removing such content
>    without having to go to anyone else.
>
> 4) migrate the VMs or at least the content to new, more reliable (and
>    also less expensive) rented server hardware.

I've spoken through IRC to some of the guys at the Open Source Lab at
Oregon State University¹.  This group hosts, for example, the Meego
project, as well as helping host parts of the Apache, Debian, CentOS and
Gentoo infrastructures, to name a few.

They're open to the idea of migrating openmoko.org services and/or
server VMs to their infrastructure.  I believe this would be the most
sustainable and practical solution.

Bob Ham

¹ http://osuosl.org/about-osuosl

--