Stop whininig / be friendly (Re: Harald for president)

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun May 20 13:22:15 CEST 2012

Chris,

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 11:08:00AM +0200, Christoph Pulster wrote:
> A big THANKS to Harald for all his effords to keep Openmoko project
> online ! - what a pity Sean did not care about his baby anymore.

Please refrain from further bashing about Sean here on this list.  This
is neither helpful not fair.

I think there are few people who understand the amount of trouble,
stress and personal hardship that Sean went thorough in the Openmoko
hay days.  Sean was the one who broguht all of us together, and who
enabled us to try to build something that we had all only been able to
dream about before: A truly open/free phone.

The fact that it has not been overly successful (commercially,
technically, ...) does nothing to the fact that we would have never
tried all of that with Sean.

There have undoubtedly been many difficult times for all of us involved.
People like Werenr, Wolfgang or me had an easy way out:  While we had
lots of say inside the project and company, we waere freelancers that
got paid and who could leave any time.   Sean had started the company
and he never had a chance to simply walk away.

So I would really like to ask you (and others on this list) to stop
seeng Sean as the enemy.  The large companies out there making billions
of $currency every quarter selling locked-down, proprietary phones are
the enemy.   You cannot blame somebody for trying to change that,
failing to do so and then at some point deliberately not reading the old
mailing lists as you have to focus on some completely different projects
and products by now.  After all, he has been paying thousands of dollars
of server hosting in the years after Openmoko Inc. had  discontinued the
phones.

Regarding your complaints about distributors not receiving the best
treatment that you had liked:  We were a very small team trying to do
the impossible in many different areas, on an incredibly tight budget.

Everyone had to take shortcuts, and everyone was overworked.  I'm sorry
that this left some discomfort with you, but distributors/partners were
not the only thing that had to be taken care of...

What you're doing now with your bitching is just creating bitterness on
all sides, and honestly, it is not going to help at all.

Regards,
	Harald