server update

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed May 23 16:17:01 CEST 2012

Hi Radek,

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 08:54:32PM +0000, Radek Polak wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 May 2012 15:44:23 Harald Welte wrote:
>
> > We're right now in some discussions and unless we don't have active
> > confirmation from the proposed new owner of trademark + domain, we don't
> > want to throw around any names.
>
> I dont get it. Why these secrets? Of course it's not problem to wait a few
> weeks - there was silence from openmoko company for years. But why not be
> open? I think this community deserves it...

The point is one of trust.  If I privately start a conversation with
somebody else, or another organization, then I would normally not
publicize  the content of such private e-mail exchange without
getting some feedback from them first.

Also, the fact when a particular event happens, and how it is publicized
is always considere important in the corporate world.  Now if you like
that or not, Openmoko Inc. was (and still is) a commercial entity.  And
it's up to its management to decide when and to whom to publish
something.

Let's say, e.g. if we had mentioned that there were talks between
Openmoko Inc. and organization XYZ about transferring the trademark, and
then a couple of days later XYZ declines such a request, it would look
quite a bit unprofessional - to the fact that XYZ even might state "why
did they talk about such a transfer without getting our approval first"?

Regards,
	Harald