Ten general QtMoko and Debian questions

Brian bneil at rochester.rr.com
Sun Nov 11 01:12:40 CET 2012

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 10:00:12 +1100
"Liz" <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> Harry Prevor wrote:
> > I just aquired a Freerunner, and after checking out the list of
> > distributions on the wiki I've narrowed it down to Debian and
> > QtMoko. I'm leaning toward QtMoko but I'm unsure about a few things:
> >
> > 1. What are the advantages to using QTMoko over Debian on a
> > Freerunner?
>
> snip
> >
> > Thanks ahead of time for the answers.
> >
> All I would say is that trying to read the screen running lxde is
> difficult, and aiming a stylus at the right spot is even more
> difficult. Frankly QtMoko is beautiful - just a lovely interface to
> look at.

I agree, you won't be too happy choosing Debian as it's simply too hard
to read. What you can do however is install QtMoko or another distro of
your choice to NAND and then install a second distro to an mSD card.

It can be a bit tricky to boot from either since it requires timing
button presses just right. I've honestly forgotten which one boots by
default, I've been using an N900 as my primary phone for some
months now, but iirc it will boot to mSD first.

On my FreeRunner I've got both QtMoko on NAND and AoF on mSD. Both work
pretty well but imho QtMoko is the better choice for use as a phone and
AoF works well with Moonreader as an ebook reader. SHR was okay last I
tried it but the 'stable' branch was old and the only other option is
the bleeding edge not always fully working branch. SHR also requires an
immediate change of power consumption settings to make it usable imho.
Since they're far too aggressive by default.

Brian