QTMoko website

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Wed Oct 3 12:03:16 CEST 2012

On Tuesday, October 02, 2012 08:01:03 PM Neil Jerram wrote:

> Attached is a patch to make QtMoko's GPS framework (Q*Whereabouts) use
> gpsd instead of reading directly from /dev/ttyO1.  The benefit of that
> is that multiple clients, both Qt and non-Qt, can all use GPS at the
> same time.

Nice, i was trying to do something like this too, but without any results.

But I wonder how much is gpsd useful for us now. We have lightweight
Whereabouts framework which now works good on GTA02 and GTA04. On GTA02 it
even handles supplying AGPS data.

I wonder what GPSD can do for us. It's another program running in background
eating system resources. The programs that will use GPSD will be poorly
integrated in QtMoko - i.e. not showing the fix status in title bar, no
blinking with LED to indicated NMEA activity, no AGPS.

This leads us to question - how many programs will use the GPSD. Navit can be
quite easily adjusted to use QWereabouts, i think the same can be done with
Monav and Marble.

And one more thing - i hate GPSD because they are breaking API compatibility
and we have no control of it. I want now to do some wheezy/armhf experimental
release for GTA04 and if wheezy/sqeeze gpsd are not compatible then it's quite
problem...

Regards

Radek