Bye SHR, hello QTMoko (and battery life)

Peter Viskup skupko.sk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 01:26:49 CEST 2012

On 10/04/2012 12:05 AM, David Garabana Barro wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've finally gave up with SHR. Around 2010 June-July, I had a mostly
> stable daily phone, rock solid gps, really great battery life (#1024
> fixed, 3-4 days standby time), and I was very very happy.
>
> But since then, my sd card sttoped working realibly, my phone doesn't
> wake up from suspend, gps intermitently fails, and I cannot say about
> battery life, because it's almost impossible to last 1 day without a
> freeze...
>
> In late 2011 I had a baby, and I left Neo unused for a while. I had no
> time to fight with so many problems. I was using a dumb phone as my
> daily phone, and giving all my time to my baby :)
>
> Now I want to use FR again, and give qtmoko a chance.
>
> I'm really surprised with the state of all functions. Almost
> everything works flawlessly, new theme is AMAZING, I can even use my
> own WPA2 home wifi. Last time I got it working with neo was with FDOM
> (LOOONG time ago). SD card works again (I'm booting qtmoko from sd
> card, so I can say it works completely stable).
>
> I'm very happy... but with battery life. Usually I get only about 12
> hours standby time, and many less if I use it a little.
>
> My Neo is #1024 fixed, I have activated deep sleep both in neocontrol
> and in /opt/qtmoko/etc/default/Trolltech/Modem.conf [1]
>
> I've read about http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket//2349, but it
> should be fixed in qtmoko's 2.6.34, isn't it?
>
> Any clue on this?
>
> Is this standby time normal for this version?
>
> What is your standby time?
>
> P.S. I have two brand new batteries, so you can discard a broken
> battery...
>

> [1]
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/qtmoko/index.php?title=FAQ#How_about_power_save_of_Calypso.2C_the_GSM_modem_-_bug_.231024
>
> --
>
> David Garabana Barro
>
> jabber & google talk ID: david at garabana.com
>
> Clave pública PGP/GPG: http://davide.garabana.com/pgp.html

Hi David,
I had the same reason for swap to QTmoko from SHR some weeks before. I
found it very stable and usable. Thanks to all developers.
My standby times vary - but usually without touching it it's somewhere
around 24 hours and probably more.
I am on the way to play with that deep sleep of GSM modem and can share
my findings (I do not have deep sleep enabled yet).

--
Peter Viskup