Bye SHR, hello QTMoko (and battery life)

David Garabana Barro david at garabana.com
Sun Oct 7 14:09:50 CEST 2012

O Domingo, 7 de Outubro de 2012, David Garabana Barro escribiu:
> O Xoves, 4 de Outubro de 2012, Timo Juhani Lindfors escribiu:
> > David Garabana Barro <david at garabana.com> writes:
> > > Any clue on this?
> >
> > Can you measure the power consumption please? With and without GSM.
>
> Now, I want to do tests with GSM powered off. For this, is it enough if I
> boot without inserted SIM card?

I answer myself. Booting without SIM card does no change power consumption at
all, so it seems qtmoko powers on GSM with or without SIM inserted.

So I've made as suggested by gennady in bug report:

cd /sys/bus/platform/devices
echo 1 > gta02-pm-gsm.0/power_on
echo 0 > gta02-pm-gsm.0/power_on

And now I can see a difference in power consumption, BUT it seems qtmoko won't
suspend if you poweroff GSM :(

GSM off:

On battery and display at 80% [1] brightness: 	197 mA
On battery and display dimmed: 					123 mA
On battery and display off:					117 mA
On resume:									?? mA

There are almost not deviations in power consumption with GSM powered off,
which I suppose is normal.

Being timeouts configured as:
Dim: 		1 m
Display off: 	3 m
Suspend:		5 m

And using the same script as before

This is the output of script in a full cycle (only pasting changes in
 current_now values)

Sun Oct  7 13:55:22 CEST 2012 199875
[..]
Sun Oct  7 13:56:08 CEST 2012 199875