Some questions about the freerunne

Harry habstinat at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 02:47:29 CEST 2012

I'll just answer all the questions I can so far. I don't and have
never actually owned a Freerunner (or any Openmoko device for that
matter), but I've been reading the mailing lists long enough to know
the answers to most of these questions.

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Michaël Parchet <mparchet at sunrise.ch> wrote:
>is there a possibility to add the 3g  and make some phone with this ?

I know that the GTA04 is capable of 3G; I'm pretty sure but not
positive that the Freerunner can't do 3G by default (although as
others have said you can replace the antenna with some know-how).

>Is there a software to reed and edit the opendocument ?

I wasn't able to find any software to do so on Openmoko GNU/Linux (the
default distribution), but you can run LibreOffice (which can read and
edit ODT files with ease) from the Debian distribution. Because ODT
files are actually XML buried in a .zip, you can also edit them (if
you know ODT XML markup) from any Openmoko text editor if you really
had to.

>Wat's the antenna quality ? it's good ?

I haven't heard too many bad things about it.

>There are a software to reed the aac (m4a) and mp3

Sure; take your pick from the Audio applications
<http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Applications#Audio>.

>What's the music format ?

There is no default music format IIRC, but OGG is generally well
supported and not patent-encumbered.

>Whath's the warranty conditions ?

It depends on the distributor you buy the phone from.

>There is no camera isn't it ?

Not by default, but you can buy a separate camera module and drill it
into the case.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Michaël Parchet <mparchet at sunrise.ch> wrote:
> what's last news about freerunner ?

Most current news is about the GTA04; the Freerunner is quickly
becoming outdated (but it will still be usable through the power of
free software for years to come).

> Is it alway available at the switzerland distributor ?

Not sure; you could ask your distributor. I don't believe Freerunners
are currently being manufactured any more.

> What's Qmoko  a software or the phone fondation that support this phone ?

QtMoko is a distribution, or an operating system, that you can install
on the phone. Some people prefer it to the 'official' operating
system, Openmoko GNU/Linux. It's developed technically separately from
Openmoko, the foundation that supports the actual phone hardware.

> If Qmoko is a distribution wat's the current foundation that support and that make the freerunner ?

As I said above, it's Openmoko <http://www.openmoko.com/>.

--Harry