Fwd: Some questions about the freerunne

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 22:38:41 CEST 2012

On Tuesday 16 October 2012 23:45:54 Michaël Parchet wrote:
> >> I'm looking for a telephone with the free software. I need to read the
> >> open document file. Unfortunately, In my region, has a cafe I frequent
> >> my phone provider have only a 3g antenna.
>
> Can you answer at thees questions ? :
Harry's answers are quite good.

What is your goal?

It seems you ask about "Openmoko Neo Freerunner" ("GTA02"), or at least, the
answers seem to focus on that model. I enjoyed using it a lot. You probably
found the wiki: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner (and see
distributions as well; though I'd suggest SHR or QtMoko).

Now I enjoy using my "OpenPhoenux" even better. There's a short page on the
openmoko wiki as well (http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GTA04), giving a history
of the project. More extended information is available at gta04.org: about the
hardware, the software and "us", the community around it.

> what's last news about freerunner ?
The latest news in my opinion is what's said in another mail: the Freerunner
is superseded by OpenPhoenux. There the story continues. I'll answer your
questions from a GTA04/OpenPhoenux-perspective.

> Is it alway available at the switzerland distributor ?
OpenPhoenux hardware is developed, build and tested not far away from
Switzerland, in and around München. Development is sponsored by Golden
Delicious and distributed by handheld-linux.com, GD's webshop.
There are some more Swiss GTA04 users, if I recall correctly. Maybe someone
will chime in and tell where they ordered.

> What's Qmoko  a software or the phone fondation that support this phone ?
> If Qmoko is a distribution wat's the current foundation that support and
> that make the freerunner ?
I'm not quite sure what you mean with the question. QtMoko is (indeed) a
distribution for phones/mobile devices, especially Openmoko devices. It is
based on Debian (armel), so all software you're used to using, is available.

> >> is there a possibility to add the 3g  and make some phone with this ?
That's how development of GTA04 started: adding 3g to something like
GTA02/Freerunner, but with stronger hardware (starting with Beagleboard).

> >> Is there a software to reed and edit the opendocument ?
Yes. I have used Abiword on Freerunner. The screen of 640x480 is barely usable
for this. I would export it over SSH. On OpenPhoenux there are more
workarounds for the screen resolution: there's TV out and if you really
wanted, it's possible to get a kit with a larger screen. Besides: working is
much more comfortable with the stronger processor and larger memory.

> >> Wat's the antenna quality ? it's good ?
Colleagues with "mainstream" smartphones are surprised to see me calling in
the elevator at my work. It does not always keep the connection, but their
phones (A[ndroid|pple]) would fail for sure. This is with OpenPhoenux, using
the Freerunner antenna.

> >> There are a software to reed the aac (m4a) and mp3
As much as there is on your desktop, there is on Openmoko devices. At the very
least mplayer.

> >> Whath's the warranty conditions ?
It's produced and sold in the EU: 2 years (http://www.handheld-
linux.com/wiki.php?page=Service)

> >> There is no camera isn't it ?
Indeed. The hardware is prepared for a camera, but the actual camera module is
optional.

> >> What's your answer ?
The final answer? Have a look at GTA04.org and join the fun!

Boudewijn