[Gta04-owner] No gta-04 available

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Oct 22 17:10:18 CEST 2012

Hi,

Am 22.10.2012 um 09:12 schrieb robin:

> I was wondering if you still, even though your frustration level must now be
> almost saturated, could make an estimate if the last GTA04 preorder batch is
> likely to be send out as an early Christmas Gifts or rather in 2013?

You are unfortunately the second last on the backorder list. So it will take a little longer.

> best regards and many thanks again for pulling this off in the first place
> (+ all the great developers putting thing things in place for SHR/QtMoko)
>
> robin
>

> ps: how much more will the GTA7004 cost; internally it uses the GTA04 if
> I understand correctly? so would that be an option to increase GTA04 demand.
> I certainly am looking for a small tablet with specifications similar to
> the Archos G09 80.

A rough estimate for smallest quantities (e.g. 5 units):

* a GTA04 (custom) board inside - could become cheaper if no UMTS & GPS capabilities
* a Sharp LQ070Y3DG3B display [1] ~130 EUR (incl. VAT) @ Avnet Express [2]
* Battery ~30 EUR (incl. VAT)
* PCB + internal components incl. production ~50-100 EUR (incl. VAT)
* Shapeways case ~77 EUR (incl. VAT)
* plus UMTS antenna, GPS antenna (if wanted) ~30 EUR

If someone knows a cheaper source for a display than [2], please let us know.

Provided there is enough interest, we could offer a kit made of battery and
complete PCB and offer the required GTA04-Custom variant (there are some
connectors not  installed). And everyone could buy a display and a Shapeways
case whereever he/she likes.

Would that be interesting to have components DIY? Or would there
be more interest in completely assembled devices?

Nikolaus

[1] http://www.panelook.com/LQ070Y3DG3B_SHARP_7.0_LCM_overview_9649.html
[2] http://octopart.com/partsearch#search/requestData&q=%20LQ070Y3DG3B