QtMoko v48 neofreerunner

David Matthews mail at dmatthews.org
Tue Oct 30 10:11:16 CET 2012

Hi Brian

>GTA04 over wifi, connecting to my IMAP server with TLS.  Thunderbird
>on my laptop works, and Mutt on the gta04 works, but qtopiamail
>doesn't.  I get this error message:
>
>new Qtopia: socketError: 13 : "Error during SSL handshake:
>error:14094410:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert handshake
>failure"

My misadventures with this have left me perplexed; I don't really understand
why it works now after so very may fails - and this against the earlier
experience of it never having caused a second thought on v35 for instance.

I conclude that is a generic error message that doesn't really point to
the problem and I *think* in my case the fix must have been to select the
appropriate login method. I believe desktop clients do that automatically (
at least sylpheed does) so I'd no prior reason to engage with this issue. I
do think that the lack of ca-certificates was part of the problem.

I probably confused things by trying against 3 different smtp servers -
maybe each one needs a different method setting and I previously failed to
hit on a winning combo.

If you like, I can post a copy of my qtopiamail.conf, which works with a
fastmail smtp account.

Regards
--
David Matthews