[Gta04-owner] No gta-04 available

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 17:27:41 CET 2012

On Monday 29 October 2012 20:16:34 Michael Parchet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The switzerland mobile phone providers will prepare the LTE (4g) network.
>
> Do you think to make a 4g matherboard "gta05" ?

Option now have LTE modules, but they are a little bigger than the gtm601u in
the GTA04 so aren't quite a drop-in replacement. They do say the 601 will fit
on the footprint of the 801 though, so they are probably electrically
compatible.
	http://www.option.com/en/products/products/lgamodulegtm801u/

> In my opinion, with only a 3g maserboard, the future freerunner will
> be quickly out of date.
>
> Whath's your opinion ?

Any low volume product that isn't backed by a big corporate is going to be a
bit behind the times simply because the manufacturers won't release

That said, the 4G issue looks like a relatively easy problem to solve. Getting
the economics to work seems to be the biggest hurdle at the moment.