QtMoko v48 neofreerunner

dmatthews.org mail at dmatthews.org
Thu Sep 20 20:41:10 CEST 2012

Hi Neil

> However, I think that point is not far above the raw SMTP level, so I
> wonder if it would help to enable SMTP logging and see what that shows?
> To do that, go into Home, Settings, Logging; choose YES twice; then
> choose "Categories..." from the context menu, and check SMTP; then back
> all the way out.  (You don't need to restart QtMoko, despite what it
> says.)

I'm not going to get around to trying that tonight, but here's an update on further pokings, more interesting than successful.

First, still using the fastmail smtp server - I tried unencrypted and TLS access, the first fails on port 25 in the same way as SSL, but the second gives an error from the remote server - so with TLS set, packets are actually leaving the neo although the connection fails. That seemed fair enough as I think I was wrong about TLS support at fastmail - I seemed to have been looking at an old page.

Ah - but my own mail server does support TLS. Damn - I get the original error message again, but after a long enough gap to suggest things are happening beyond the phone. Sure enough - in the mail servers logs now there is something (dunno why I did not see this a couple of days ago):-

2012-09-20 19:23:59 TLS error on connection from [x.x.x.x] (recv): A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.

2012-09-20 19:23:59 TLS error on connection from [x.x.x.x] (send): The specified session has been invalidated for some reason.

So why don't I see the Remote server closed the session error on the phone as I do with a TLS attempt at fastmail? I guess that could be different server behaviour rather than inconsistency with qtmoko

Enough for one night - will try Neils suggestion for further info over the weekend.

--
David Matthews
mail at dmatthews.org