GTA02 Setting time from phone network using NITZ ?

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sat Sep 22 10:53:26 CEST 2012

El día Saturday, September 22, 2012 a las 04:26:01PM +0800, Adam Ward escribió:

> I have a GTA02 which I acquired a few years back and until now I have not
> really done anything with it.  Now I want to use it as my main phone.
>
> The automatic setting of the date/time from the providors network (in this
> case it is Optus) does not work in qtmoko.  The provider does support this as
> I have a another phone that gets this information.
>
> I see there is an old bug from the Nokia days:
> http://docs.huihoo.com/qt/qtextended/4.4/release-4-4-3.html
> BUG 231983
>
> According to
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/30428306/54/AT-CTZU-Automatic-Time-Zone-Update
> I should be able to chat to the modem to get some information.
>
> But the following command does not return anything:
> root at neo:~# chat -vse '' 'AT+CTZU=?' '' '' > /dev/ttySAC0 < /dev/ttySAC0
> send (AT+CTZU=?^M)
> send (^M)
>
> syslog shows:
> Jan  1 08:13:45 neo chat[1109]: send (AT+CTZU=?^M)
> Jan  1 08:13:46 neo chat[1109]: send (^M)
>
> Is there a way to automatically log the AT chat commands ?
> Do I have the correct /dev/tty ?
>
> More generally, is this a problem with the calypso firmware, or qt extended /
> qtmoko or something else ?

Adam,

I do not know the details of the distribution you are using, but I could
imagine that the part of the software which controls the modem is
'eating up' the responses of the AT cmds you are sending down with
chat(1). Concerning the time update, I'm using ntpdate(1)
to get the correct time from Internet.

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz               |  /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: www.asciiribbon.org