Fairphone: source code(cad?) repository?

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Wed Apr 3 03:40:35 CEST 2013

I changed the subject..

This is quite an interesting endeavor.. I'm hoping the fairphone group
will engage the OpenMoko community as well as other open source hardware
groups.

I would like to see Fairphone start by sponsoring making CAD drawings
for the OpenMoko Freerunner cases in OpenSCAD or Free-cad, and then
making new molds.

My advice to the fairphone group is approach the problem from multiple
areas: First, get a mostly standard android phone that comes rooted from
the factory, But at the same time push on a 100% AGPLv3 licensed phone,
from case, to PCB, to silicon for ALL the asics in the phone, from
processor (there are several open source CPUS available 'off the shelf),
to GPU (the OpenShader project is starting to get some traction),
and then the GSM radio itself.

An interesting halfway point might be a developer/maker phone that has
a display, and a multi-band software-defined-radio frontend that runs
the GSM/wifi/bluetooth connections, as well as the core CPU on a big
FPGA.