Take a look at these stupid people...

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Wed Apr 3 04:31:18 CEST 2013

On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 10:16:20AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Sebastian Reinhardt wrote:
>
> > They said: "There is no fair smartphone on market, so we have to invent it"
> >
> > Nothing about GTA04 or OpenMoko! Stupid people! A new example for bad
> > journalism...
>
> It probably isn't a good idea to start calling potential allies
> "stupid", especially on twitter and thus on their website.
>
> If you read their website, they are less about software freedom and
> more about not contributing to civil war, genocide, environmental
> destruction etc by buying minerals from warlords mined using
> slavery-like conditions with zero consideration for the environment.
>
> http://www.fairphone.com/about/
> http://www.fairphone.com/faq/#q1
> http://www.fairphone.com/faq/#q6
>
> To me, the OpenMoko community seemed to be by geeks, for geeks. That
> the Fairphone folks haven't heard about OpenMoko/OpenPhoenux says more
> about the publicity and outreach done by our community than about the
> Fairphone people. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think OpenMoko
> Inc scrutinized (or had the resources to) their supply chain for
> conflict minerals, poor working conditions or environmental
> destruction either. Not sure about Goldelico, it would be interesting
> to hear about this.
>
> There is a potential partnership here, I'd encourage Goldelico to make
> some connections.

I think it says quite a bit more about how stupid we've been as geeks
to ignore the other social aspects a Libre Hardware (that complies with
the Debian Free Software Guidelines.. http://freedomdefined.org/OSHW_draft
) mobile device could make possible.

What we all need to get more intelligent about now is how to educate the
socially-conscious market out there of the benefits of Libre soft/hardware
and how critical it is for the long-term goals of the FairPhone project
that the entire design meet the debian free software guidelines.

We were about 5-10 years too early for the rest of the world with OpenMoko.

			Maybe now it's time.

Troy Benjegerdes                'da hozer'                 hozer at hozed.org

Somone asked my why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software & hardware (http://q3u.be) stuff and not get a real job.
Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz