Fairphone

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Wed Apr 3 15:49:02 CEST 2013

On Wed 03 April 2013 15:36:13 Alexander Lehner wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, pike wrote:
> > Hi

> >> Two completely different philosophies at work with little common
> >> ground.
> >
> > exactly. i couldnt even find whats running on
> > the fairphone - probably stock closed android.
> >
> > it could be a selling point for openmoko to
> > be green (and slaveless) too, though. I've
> > never heard anyone about it on the list.
>
> Is I already posted earlier on this list, there is already a 'fair'
> product, a simple mouse, and it's ready to buy:
>
> http://www.nager-it.de/maus
>
> A mouse of that simplenes and design is usually given away as goodie if
> you are on a fair (exhibition).
>
> The price for the fair mouse starts at 30 EUR with 'upgrade' packages for
> a 3rd mousebutton etc...
>
> So the 'fair' production costs are about 10x higher.
> Hard to believe that someone buys a phone that costs 3000 EUR,
>
> Seeing this before the background, that geeks like us - which are usually
> willing to spent more money than necessary for toys - are unable to
> finance Nikolaus GTA project.
>
> A.

Add to that the fact(?, rather suspicion) that the electronic components in
that fair mouse are still NOT fair production, since it would be impossible to
get chips produced from fair rare earth etc in a volume needed for those few
hundred mice.
I don't think *anybody* has bothered to produce "fair" chips (silicone) so
far, since it's near impossible and would make chips like 30* to 100* as
expensive if it could be done, due to low volumes asked.

/j