Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone (right now)

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Thu Aug 22 23:20:56 CEST 2013

On Thu 22 August 2013 21:44:13 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Am 22.08.2013 um 21:28 schrieb Bob Ham:
> > On Thu, 2013-08-22 at 21:19 +0200, Sebastian Krzyszkowiak wrote:
> >> Well, there are (or were) complete phones based on GTA04 available to
> >> buy from Golden Delicious, so yes, OpenPhoenux has already achieved
> >> "production of any phone".
> >
> > The phones consisted of GTA04 motherboards inside second-hand GTA01/02
> > cases.  These cases were produced by Openmoko, not "OpenPhoenix".
>
> Producing new cases is a matter of enough money, not of capabilities...
>
> -- hns

As already suggested by me[1], you also could go the other way and adapt the
PCB shape (plus a few circuit addons like hw matrix kb) to fit into a widely
available convenient existing case, more convenient and available than
Openmoko shower-radio housing. Think N900 [2].
I know for sure there's a (comparatively) huge community interested in such
device with true hw kbd and resistive touchscreen, even more so when the
platform inside is so close to original maemo platform [3] that even porting
maemo to gta04 gets into vicinity.

cheers
jOERG

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.maemo.community/5428
[2] http://www.ebay.com/bhp/nokia-n900-housing
[3] http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Hardware_Schematic

(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)