Building a new totally free phone

Nick openmoko-community at njw.me.uk
Fri Aug 23 14:12:00 CEST 2013

Your free phone idea appeals to me enormously, Michael. And I,
(unlike I suspect some others on the list) very much like your
framing of the issues, too. I fully support the idea that if a law
makes private conversation illegal, it is a bad law, and regulatory
blocks on GSM that forbid inspectable and modifiable cannot but be
such.

However, can GSM really be a base for secure communication anyway?
I've heard that the encryption used is really crappy, and while some
things like MITM forced reregistration to disable encryption and
ease surveillance could be countered by appropriate phone settings,
if the best encryption algorithm available can be cracked by a home
PC in a few days, you're still screwed.

A truly free phone is a worthy and very important thing for other
reasons, but could such a thing be strongly secure too? Or is the
only solution there to rely on something like ZRTP in voip, and give
up wishing that GSM could provide security?

I've always been somewhat vague about how modems and their
processors interact with other parts of a system. Am I correct in
thinking that once the first firmware part of your project was
complete, one could flash load that the GTA02 modem, and have a (far
more 'smart' and Linux-y than you're ultimately planning) free
openmoko phone? Or would the modem firmware have to be programmed
differently for the GTA02 compared to your feature phone? While I am
more interested in a feature phone than a 'smart' phone, I would be
very happy to have a really free modem firmware on my GTA02 in the
meantime.

It's interesting to think of the meanings of 'free' in your message.
Because one of the nice things of free software traditionally has
been the ability to say "it's free software, so I can do what I like
with it, and you can't invoke state violence against me for doing
so," due to a careful 'respect' of the copyrights of people who
don't want their stuff to be free. While regulatory reigimes
seemingly make this impossible anyway with GSM, I don't relish the
idea of essentially giving more power to other people to wield the
law against the project or its' users. But I understand that writing
a firmware from scratch for something like the Calypso would be a
massive amount of work, and I would rather have a reusable and
inspectable firmware that breaks copyright law, than none at all,
particularly for something as directly dangerous to one's security
as a phone.

With this in mind, I do wonder why the OsmocomBB work isn't
appropriate as a base for your work? Can you explain this a bit more
why it isn't? Is it just that they are quite a long way from
producing a complete firmware for a phone?

> And because it is so totally incomprehensible to my mind how someone
> can be like you, and be able to live with yourself while watching
> someone else's life wither away because of your selfishness, I find
> myself at a complete loss as to how one should interact with people
> like you.

I do think you need to be more careful, kind, and forgiving of
perceived differences, when speaking to others in the community.
We're all in a similar position here, working towards helping people
communicate freely. Sure, people have different things they will
compromise in order to try to effect this, but ultimately I find it
hard to believe that anybody in the openmoko community isn't here in
large part because of their wish to see people able to freely
communicate.

It's fine and healthy to not always agree with others about what
compromises are appropriate, and to argue to try to figure out what
the best course of action is, but it is unjust to assume malice,
and saying what I've quoted above (regardless of how true it may feel)
is likely to just turn people off to you. We need all the solidarity
we can muster, and we need to celebrate the work people are doing,
and try to respect them, and their differences. Even - nay,
especially - if there are major differences that you can't
understand.

I look forward very much to hearing your progress with your project.
If there's something I as an enthusiastic but comparitively ignorant
volunteer can do to help, let me know!

Nick