Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Sat Aug 24 23:04:51 CEST 2013

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 14:22:55 +0200 Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> wrote:

> And the reenumerating modem - i really dont understand why we havent tried
> newer firmware. For me missed calls is quite serious problem.

I'm starting to think the the re-enumeration could be an omap-usb problem.
I turned off a couple of power-saving features and the rate at which my modem
reenumerates went way down.
Sometimes the the modem disappears and comes back.  Sometimes it disappears
and doesn't come back.  In those cases if I rmmod the relevant modules and
modprobe them again it sometimes comes back and sometimes doesn't.
When rmmod/modprobe doesn't work, a reboot does.
But the reboot doesn't remove power from the modem so just resets the omap.
So it seems that the problem must be in the omap-usb driver.  At the very
least if we could get it to reset the connection to the same level as a
reboot resets it, then we should be able to improve reliability.

Oh, and by the way:  Don't "rfkill block wwan" :-(  It doesn't actually cause
the modem to stop transmitting, but it does cause it to be behave very badly
in intermittent ways.  My phone had been very unstable for quite a while and
I eventually traced it to an "rfkill block all" that I had in my startup
scripts.  Removing that helped a lot.

NeilBrown