GTA04-N900 vel. Neo900

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Mon Aug 26 22:57:58 CEST 2013

On Mon 26 August 2013 14:35:50 Sebastian Krzyszkowiak wrote:
[...]
> Joerg's idea includes full port of Maemo 5 (Fremantle) to allow N900
> users to have drop-in upgrade - just like now GTA04 is for GTA01/02
> owners. I think that can increase interest a lot!

Indeed I consider maemo fremantle compatibility a key feature of this project,
since fremantle is proven on OMAP3 platform, both for power management and
general every day usability. And userbase at maemo mostly expects
compatibility.
We (would) need to adapt GTA04 to mach resp resemble N900 enough so that all
remaining differences can get handled on kernel/driver level.
On an encouraging sidenote, we have already at least 2 volunteers for doing
that kernel morphing, one of them even a ex-nokian kernel maintainer \o/

There are still some _severe_ issues that need to get evaluated/tackled ASAP:
*) instabilities/issues reported for GTA04, with power management and modem
**) USB / musb core in OMAP which is a greedy hog as long as powered.
*) camera (N900 has 5MP with autofocus)
*) N900 has 32GB eMMC
*) interfacing the flex circuit board (aka ribbon cable) connection to  to
screen half, that also has ALS, secondary (VGA?) camera, proxy sensor, 3color
LED
*) component sourcing for speakers, antennae, et al
*) completely different charging (N900 uses bq24150)
*) AV-connector with auto-detection of headphones, headset, AV (maybe simply
replace that in userland by a requester to pick type of cable/connection
*) audio at large, N900 has a quite different circuitry for whole audio, and
fremantle has some nasty PA modules, some of them even closed blobs (XPROT
speaker protection, some limiter/compressor/EQ/overtemp-cutout)

*)... I'm afraid there's more to come, that I don't see right now

Anyway, the general mood is best described by "extremely excited" and it seems
it's maybe worth following this idea some further, even with the above points
pending to get solved.

See http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91142

I hope I didn't state anything that Nikolaus will bash me for when tomorrow he
reads all the stuff that happened.

The poll I added on that ^^^ thread on tmo however shows that 7/8 of users are
expecting us to compete with Samsung for the price range. Well, that been
expected. The resulting discussion is maybe helpful nevertheless.

cheers
jOERG
(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)