Battery graphs - was Re: Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone

joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Wed Aug 28 00:44:47 CEST 2013

On Wed 28 August 2013 00:29:18 NeilBrown wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 09:46:12 +1000 NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 15:31:19 +0200 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
> >
> > <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> > > Hm. That sounds quite different from the situation about 1 year ago
> > > when you did the first releases of QtMoko and I always thought that
> > > the 3.7 kernel is working well enough, so that I started to add new
> > > features.
> > >
> > > Has it become worse since then?
> >
> > I like drawing graphs.  So I did - see attachment.
> >
> > For the last year or so my GTA04 has been logging the power usage during
> > suspend for every suspend cycle longer than a few seconds.  I do this by
> > reading the "charge_now" value from the bq27000 in the battery, comparing
> > the "before" and "after" values, and dividing by the number of seconds.
> >
> > I currently have my phone configured to wake from suspend every 5
> > minutes, check that the modem is still working, and go back to suspend.
> > This has helped collect quite a lot of values.
> >
> > To get the graphs I collected all those values, discarded negative
> > numbers (when the battery was charging) and a few numbers that were
> > clearly ridiculous (numbers more than 1 amp), and sorted the remainder.
> >

> > So we get a cumulative frequency graph of different current levels.
> >
> > The red line ('/tmp/uamp') is for the last couple of days since last
> > reboot. This is running 3.7 with offmode disabled.
> > The green line ('tmp/uamp2') is for the last year, running a variety of
> > different kernels.
> >
> > Obviously there is a very different number of samples in each. 342 in
> > uamp 10031 in uamp2.  So I normalised the X values so the graphs are
> > comparable. They are much the same shape which suggests  the pattern is
> > fairly robust.
> >
> > The Y axis is microamps.
> > The green values below 20000 (20mA) are with offmode enabled I assume.
> > The red values are all greater because I have offmode turned off to
> > improve reliability.
> >
> > The steps are a bit of a surprise.  They are all about 2mA.  I don't
> > think this is an artefact of the precision with which measurements are
> > taken as the charge value read from the battery has a much higher
> > precision.
> > I think it must be an actual 2mA difference in (average) current usage.
> > This could be 2mA more for the whole time, or 4mA more with a 50% duty
> > cycle etc.
> >
> > So if we can make off-mode really usable (which possibly means find and
> > fix some bug in the omap usb code) and if we can find out what is
> > causing these 2mA steps and resolve that, then might might be a little
> > closer to acceptable power usage.
> >
> > I might try running for a while with the modem turned off and see what
> > result I get.
>
> Here are results with modem powered off.
>
> 1/ The minimum current is higher!!! without the modem  at work. - 28mA
> rather than 24mA.
> 2/ The maximum is much lower. 36mA vs 97mA.
> [...]

check ULPI. also check the bus from CPU to musb core. And why would both ends
need to be driven? In my book a 2mA is sth like 1.8V into 1kR termination, for
example

/j
(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)