GTA04-N900 vel. Neo900

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Wed Aug 28 10:12:33 CEST 2013

> I would say, maemo fremantle is great.
> if we could manage to make it free, i. e. rewrite it's non-free parts,
> and make it available on more platforms, like nexus, it'll be great.
> having free hardware in n900 case it good too.
> but first of all let's get working free, indeed free maemo. not the
> proprietary one that could be flashed from nokia images.
> but the one which is possible to port to different devices. so may be
> someone does not like n900 and want to use it on n9 or nexus. or
> whatever phone he has.
> I like SHR for that reason - there are at least a couple of platforms
> supported.

maemo isn't "great", maemo is a purposefully crippled debian with the
added benefit to prevent the user from simply using debian armel packages.
imo, the way to go would be to port all of maemo to debian thereby getting
rid of nokia's imcompatibilities also inside packages (gtk springs to
mind).
iirc there is/was work going on in that direction.

BTW: PLEASE cut quotes to the least needed amount and do not just hit
reply!