GTA04-N900 vel. Neo900

Paul Wise pabs at debian.org
Wed Aug 28 10:33:47 CEST 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:12 AM, arne anka wrote:

> maemo isn't "great"

If I were using Maemo, I guess the biggest problem for me would be
security support, I wonder if there is any right now?

> imo, the way to go would be to port all of maemo to debian thereby getting

Your wording isn't clear here, but I guess you mean join Debian and
get all the new packages and patches from Maemo added to Debian? If
you want to start doing that, take a look at these pages. I'm sure
that the Debian mobile folks will be happy to help guide you with
this.

http://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers
https://wiki.debian.org/Mobile

> iirc there is/was work going on in that direction.

At one point the Hildon stuff was in Debian but it got removed because
it became clear that it did not have a future upstream since Nokia was
dropping it. Now some things like 0xffff are in Debian but not much
else. In particular I don't think that Debian has a version of Linux
that can run on the N900 yet, same for GTA02/GTA04. Probably the same
for bootloaders etc.

There is some info about how different Maemo (all versions) is from
Debian in these files:

http://dex.alioth.debian.org/census/Maemo/sources.new
http://dex.alioth.debian.org/census/Maemo/sources.patches
http://dex.alioth.debian.org/census/Maemo/patches/

These are derived from this data:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Maemo

If there is anyone from the Maemo community interested in being the
contact point for maintaining this info, I get the impression that
Jeremiah is no longer involved in Maemo so it would be great to have a
replacement for him.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census
https://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

--