GTA02: NavBoard V3 causing GPS interference

Hrabosh hrabosh136 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 18:00:27 CET 2013

A few comments inside:

Pascal Gosselin píše v Čt 07. 02. 2013 v 08:36 -0500:
> Yesterday I was able to confirm that the installation of the Golden
> Delicious NavBoard V3 very seriously degrades the performance of GPS
> when using the built-in GPS antenna.  Getting a 3D fix is taking over 20
> minutes on average using the built-in GPS antenna.  When using an
> external GPS antenna, the issue goes away and an unaided GPS cold start
> can be achieved in about 41 to 44 seconds.
>
> I suspect that the use of unshielded cabling between the GTA02 is a
> likely cause.  Being in the Avionics business, I am familiar with the
> use of shielded twisted pair wiring, but generally in large 22AWG (will
> have to figure out where to source very thin STP cabling).  The wires we
> use to perform this mod is solid core, probably 30 AWG.  In avionics,
> when it is desired to keep a signal from radiating outside a cable (such
> as Headphone/Microphone wiring), then the shield of only a single side
> of the cable is terminated to a good grounding point.  When instead it
> is desired that the signal inside a cable be protected from EMI/RFI from
> the "outside", then the shields on both sides of the cable will be
> terminated to ground

We are usually trying to refrain from connecting shileding to ground on
both sides as a prevention of grounding loop.

> .
>
> I theorize that only the SCL/SDA would need to be shielded (together in
> a shielded twisted pair cable ?), Power and Ground may not need to be
> shielded.

We have never twisted two differnet signals together. What about
cross-talks? The only type of signal we are twisting together are for
example positive and negative leg of RS422 bus. Or A429 (you may be
familliar with).

> This issue seems very similar to the SD Card access/GPS issue of the
> earlier GTA02s, so I also wonder if a capacitor fix should be looked at
> in this case as well.
>
> -Pascal
> http://www.wi-flight.net/

Zbynek