Ubuntu phone

Alex Samorukov ml at os2.kiev.ua
Sun Feb 10 19:55:20 CET 2013

On 02/10/2013 06:10 PM, Peter Viskup wrote:
> Have you watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWHJDLsqTU
>> How do they get this speed on the screen? Do they use something else
>> than X11? There is also not mutch technical background information at
>> Ubuntu's pages http://www.ubuntu.com/
>>
>>     matthias
>
> Hi Matthias,
> it's just marketing video - doesn't mean it will respond on every HW
> so quickly. ;-) But it's great to see they will come with 'revolution'
> gesture control on the screen. In opposite Firefox OS will be just
> another 'standard' mobile OS. Hope at least one (I bet for Firefox OS)
> of them will be completely open source and will not require any
> account to be registered somewhere.
> Anybody already tried Firefox OS on GTA02/04?
Just to let you know - Android could be used w/o any registration and
without any vendor-locked components. Unfortunately it is more
exception, then case - many chipset vendors are not opening driver
sources, especially for modem and OpenGL hw. I am not expecting anything
very different with Ubuntu OS - it is hardware vendor policy and there
is no way to prevent this from from OS vendor. And yes, i didnt mention
fact that every device do have closed source GSM stack, what making much
more problems for privacy then, for example, closed source video driver.
And again, Firefox OS, Android or QTMoko will not solve this issue (