FreeTSM30/FreeCalypso project started

Michael Spacefalcon msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Thu Feb 14 19:40:35 CET 2013

Patryk Benderz <Patryk.Benderz at esp.pl> wrote:

> There is leaked TSM30 source code for this GSM chipset firmware...

Yes, that's exactly what I'm using as my starting point.

> maybe there also is some documentation?

As far as hardware documentation goes, all of it is neatly gathered on
my FTP site: /pub/GSM/Calypso on ifctfvax.Harhan.ORG.  100% complete
as far as I can tell - haven't spotted any omissions yet.

But software documentation is a different story.  The TSM30 source
release is just bare code, no documentation whatsoever, excepting the
scattered comments in the *.[ch] files and build scripts themselves.

My common sense tells me that TI had most likely provided its customers
(handset manufacturers) with some hand-holding documentation on how to
work with their firmware - where to go to make product-specific UI,
hardware support, etc changes, how to flash the firmware, how to talk
to it - setting IMEI numbers, RF calibration, testing, etc.  If some
kindred soul would be willing to leak that documentation (e.g., put it
on a .onion and have some disposable tormail.org account post a link
to it), it would be immensely helpful to the FreeCalypso project.  But
I won't sit and wait for it with bated breath - I'll just bite the
bullet and painstakingly study the code to recover that knowledge.  It
will take longer, but the project will still proceed.

> Did you checked this?
> http://tpb.noflag.org.uk/torrent/6834542/TSM30_Source_Code
> http://www.monova.org/torrent/4899164/TSM30_Source_Code.html

I'm the guy who sent that ware to Cryptome.org, from where those
torrents were then made. :-)

joerg Reisenweber <joerg at openmoko.org> wrote:

> You also know that
> what Openmoko had access to (mostly the AT interpreter) plus much more is
> available as leaked source in internet since ages.

And you know as well as I do that the widely-available version, the
one I am currently using as my starting point, is set up to target the
wrong hw platform and the wrong feature configuration.  Being able to
take a peek at a version that is already configured as necessary, even
if that version is mostly binary objects, would be a very helpful aid
for the FreeCalypso project seeking to recreate that configuration
starting from the "wrong" but full-source-available version.

But I will persevere nonetheless, with or without the bits which you
are hoarding.

> "We" also granted access
> to what we had to many volunteers that didn't sound as lunatic and mad as you
> did - your fault.

It isn't just me that you are hurting - it is the entire GTA02 user
community.

I am pretty confident that I can rip out the TMS320DA250 ties from the
FreeTSM30 code base, and make it run on a Calypso-only phone.  I will
also *attempt* to recreate the changes you have make for the "moko"
version (custom AT commands, wake-up signaling, whatever else is there
that I'm unaware of), that is, recreate them independently while being
denied a peek at your version.  If I succeed in that part, great.  But
if not, I will just screw the GTA0x and find a Calypso-only phone to
use, with no AP and hence no need for the wake-up logic, etc.

Either way, I will have a working cellphone in my pocket, running my
FreeCalypso firmware - which is my goal.  But your refusal to share
the moko-specific modifications you have made to the firmware will
make it less likely that my firmware will be a functional drop-in
replacement for the old one, which obviously has a direct bearing on
others' ability to benefit from my work.

So in the end it will be the community which you are screwing, not me.

> C) you threatened our engineers in private mail (one or 2 years ago),

Not just private email, but quite publicly too, on this very list.

> to a degree where anybody else would've sent the police

Why don't you go right ahead - I challenge all police forces of the
world to try to stop me.

> To me you sound like a silly consequential angry child.

This "silly consequential angry child" will produce a working,
fully-functional, full source, illegally-free GSM firmware for the
Calypso, and make it available to the entire worldwide community of
lawbreakers, anarchists and revolutionaries.  That *will* happen with
or without your help.

The *only* part that isn't certain is whether or not that firmware
will be usable on GTA02 phones as a drop-in replacement for the old
binary-only one.  If it isn't, the community will know whom to blame.

> Oh, anybody said "glamo"?

You mean this:

$ hostname
ifctfvax.Harhan.ORG
$ ls -l /pub/GSM/GTA02/Glamo
total 2808
-rw-r--r--  1 msokolov   248664 Oct 20  2011 Glamo_3362_CmdQ_Spec1.pdf
-rw-r--r--  1 msokolov  1919990 Oct 20  2011 Glamo_3362_Datasheet_V1.0-Full.pdf
-rw-r--r--  1 msokolov   147740 Oct 20  2011 Glamo_3365_2D_Engine_Spec_v1.0.pdf
-rw-r--r--  1 msokolov   390670 Oct 20  2011 Glamo_3365_3D_Engine_Spec_v1.0.pdf
-rw-r--r--  1 msokolov   102131 Oct 20  2011 Glamo_3365_MPEG_Engine_Spec_v1.0.pdf

Available via anonymous FTP, as usual.

Viva la Revolucion,
SF