Entry level Ubuntu smartphone

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Jan 4 13:22:33 CET 2013

Am 04.01.2013 um 08:55 schrieb Patryk Benderz:

> [cut]
>> Perhaps it would be a good idea to inform Canonical about your
>> project. gta04 will be a good testing plattform for them and perhaps
>> they can contribute in different ways to the project.
> [cut]
> Exactly: we already have testing platform for them... maybe they can
> "repay" with some money investment into the device which we lack? As a

To me it appears that they don't want to focus on a single hardware platform
and therefore ask OEMs and ODMs to get their porting support.

Let's take a place in their driver seat. What do they see? A plethora of
devices and vendors on which no Ubuntu is running yet. So they try to
get everybody. And will most likely start with those who already are big
players not tied to their own OS (Apple, RIM) or big partner (like Nokia-MS).
E.g. HTC, LG, HP, Acer, maybe even Samsung etc.

If there is anyone going to CES, please talk to them!

> return, could it be possible to brand GTA04 as a "Ubuntu Phone", or is

As analysed above I doubt they are interested in Ubuntu Phones. They
want to see it running on any phone.

> it against our ideology?

The OpenPhoneux should not be tied and favour one specific OS. It
should be and remain open to run everthing! I.e.:

* QtMoko
* SHR
* Angstrom
* Debian LXDE
* Debian something else
* Replicant
* RowBoat
* Ubuntu Mobile
* please extend yourself...

This makes a difference. It gives choice and options for experimenting.

But I also see an opportunity for a small business startup that someone
could be interested to bundle GTA04 devices with some preinstalled
software distro (other than the Debian/LXDE hw-validation image) for
special target groups. E.g. a QtMoko Phone or a Replicant Phone.