Ubuntu / Firefox OS for Openmoko?

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Fri Jan 11 22:23:05 CET 2013

On Fri, 2013-01-11 at 20:43 +0100, Christoph Pulster wrote:

> The hardware GTA04 is based on one person (Nikolaus), the software
> QtMoko is based on one person (Radek). My daily cudos for both of them.
> But I am afraid we really need a broader basis of manpower.

I think it's unfair to mention only Nikolaus and Radek.  There are many
people working to push the GTA04 forward:

http://git.freesmartphone.org/?p=cornucopia.git;a=history;f=fsodeviced/conf/GTA04;hb=HEAD
http://git.shr-project.org/git/?p=meta-smartphone.git;a=history;f=meta-openmoko/conf/machine/om-gta04.conf;hb=HEAD
https://github.com/neilbrown/linux/commits/gta04/mainline/arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-omap3gta04.c

I don't think "we" necessarily "need" any more manpower.  To say that is
to say: I want people to do things for me.  Indeed, we all want 1000
programmers to start working on FSO and QtMoko so that our phones become
sweet bastions of freedom and coolness.  Alas, there is only us.

It is worth remembering that a factor in attracting programmers is the
ratio between (1) how much effort we spend complaining about how few
programmers the are and trying to attract more, and (2) how much effort
we spend creating useful systems with a small number of programmers.
Paradoxically, a focus on the latter is much more likely to attract new
contributors.

--
Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }